Former Akin Gump Litigator Launches New Patent and Technology Counseling Law Firm – IPWatchdog.com

Samar Shah |

Samar Shah, Esq. Announces the launch of a new boutique law firm based in San Antonio, Shah IP Law, PLLC. The new law firm will focus on providing intellectual property advice, with an emphasis on patent portfolio development, patent prosecution and other advanced law enforcement strategies such as appeals, investigations and IPR proceedings.

Mr. Shah, former patent attorney at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, and Paul Hastings LLP founded the new law firm to serve the growing tech scene in San Antonio and central Texas, capitalizing on new trends in legal technology that cut costs reduce and increase the efficiency of the delivery of legal services.

“While litigating patents at Akin Gump, I received a lot of questions from established and emerging technology companies in San Antonio about patent protection and intellectual property strategy,” said Shah. But he couldn’t serve these potential clients in his previous law firm as the law firm specialized in patent litigation and did not pursue patents. “After turning down a few clients, I discovered that there was a great demand for patent advisory services in San Antonio. At this point, I decided to use my previous patent prosecution and patent consulting experience to serve clients in San Antonio. “

Prior to moving to San Antonio, Mr. Shah worked as a patent attorney at one of the best known law firms in Silicon Valley. “I wrote my first patent for Palm (the maker of the then ubiquitous Palm Pilot PDA) when I was a sophomore law student. I fell in love with the subject straight away and haven’t looked back since. “Mr. Shah cut his teeth locally by writing patents for tech titans in Silicon Valley like Google and Facebook, as well as other startups. “I spent about 80% of my time there writing patents for Facebook and Google, and the other 20% of the time I was working with software and medical device startups. Those were formative years for me, and while I enjoyed litigating patents with Akin Gump and Paul Hastings, I longed to work with inventors and super-smart founders and executives of tech companies. “

Mr. Shah’s decision to start his own law firm took shape when he discovered tech companies were starting to disrupt the delivery of legal services. “In the past, practicing the law in a large law firm had a huge advantage as you could gain a lot of insight into patent office law enforcement just by speaking to your colleagues in the hallway. On the other hand, if you’ve been to a small business, you’ve shot in the dark and you may face more rejections than your colleagues in larger companies. “

About Shah IP Law, PLLC.

Shah IP Law, PLLC is a boutique law firm based in San Antonio, Texas specializing in intellectual property protection with an emphasis on patent prosecution. Shah IP Law, PLLC leverages big data analytics and other advances in legal technology to turn a traditional disadvantage into a competitive advantage. “By leveraging data analytics from Juristat and others, we can now learn more about how a particular art entity or patent examiner pursues patents than my colleagues at large corporations who don’t use data analytics. We also use technology from companies like ReedTech and AltLegal to automate many of the design and docking tasks previously performed by expensive lawyers or paralegals. “In addition, the company stated that it is currently developing its own technology software that would automate the back-end legal processes for companies to a greater extent. “By leveraging these technologies, we can offer IP services that rival the largest law firms in the country, but at a fraction of the cost.”

Comments are closed.